Our client is a privately held manufacturing company headquartered in an attractive Midwestern community. The company is profitable, rapidly growing, and is the recognized leader in its industry. It is well-known for its commitment to quality, customer service, and sustaining strong, long-term customer relationships. A recently expanded and upgraded state-of-the-art manufacturing facility at the headquarters site is testimony to the significant and ongoing commitment being made to maintain manufacturing and market superiority. Senior management is team-driven, with a commitment to Lean manufacturing principles and practices, and to continuous improvement at all levels of the organization.
We have been retained to seek an energetic and dynamic leader to serve as the Vice President of Operations. Reporting to the President and CEO, the selected candidate will serve as an integral member of the executive management team and will be responsible for the day-to-day leadership and oversight of manufacturing operations across the organization. This leader will identify, plan, communicate and drive implementation of capital investments and quality improvement projects to expand capacity for profitable growth. In addition, the Vice President will manage policy deployment in the areas of Lean Manufacturing techniques, quality, cost reduction, complete and on-time delivery, safety, customer satisfaction, employee/labor relations, visual controls and plant performance measures. Helping to build and maintain the organization’s positive culture, this leader will ensure high levels of customer and employee satisfaction while improving the efficiency of manpower, materials and machines. Managing a total team of more than 1,000 salaried and hourly employees, direct reports will include leaders in assembly and manufacturing, supply chain, quality assurance, fabrication and materials, maintenance, routing and standard cost, and environmental engineering.
- Bachelors’ degree in engineering is required; an MBA is preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years’ progressive work experience, to include at least five years demonstrated accomplishment in a complex manufacturing environment. Senior management experience in a comparable manufacturing environment – steel fabrication, metal bending and painting, job shop/small lots orientation, frequent production shifts, and quick shipments vs. build-for-inventory is required.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for achieving business results; an action-oriented and results-driven leader with a strong sense of urgency.
- History of working effectively with high performance teams, and on a cross-functional basis with senior marketing, engineering, and financial executives. Team builder and team player with strong leadership skills.
- Proven familiarity with Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques, with technical knowledge in materials and inventory management, production scheduling, and preventive maintenance.
- Strong commitment to safety, quality, attention to detail, and oriented to problem analysis and prompt problem resolution.
- Analytical, fact-based, decisive, and action-oriented; extensive background as a problem solver.