Yale New Haven Health (YNHH), Connecticut’s leading healthcare system, was formed in 1996 to enhance the quality and scope of healthcare services for residents of Connecticut and beyond. Now celebrating 25 years as an integrated health system, YNHS includes Bridgeport, Greenwich, Lawrence + Memorial, Yale New Haven and Westerly hospitals, as well as the Northeast Medical Group multispecialty physician practice. YNHH has clinical relationships with several other hospitals in Connecticut and numerous outpatient locations throughout the state. YNHH is affiliated with Yale School of Medicine, in support of patient care, medical education and clinical research. Flagship facility Yale New Haven Hospital is a 1,541-bed tertiary medical center receiving national and international referrals. As of 2020, Fitch affirmed YNHH with an AA- rating and Moody Investors Services affirmed a Aa3 rating. The rating reflects Moody’s expectation that the system will continue to enjoy its leading market position in Connecticut along with the strong brand recognition associated with Yale University.
Lawrence + Memorial Healthcare Delivery Network includes Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London, Connecticut and Westerly Hospital in Rhode Island. Lawrence + Memorial Hospital includes 308-beds offering cardiac acute, step-down and rehabilitation programs and an obstetrical program with Level III NICU. The Lawrence + Memorial Cancer Center in Waterford, Connecticut provides medical oncology services, gynecologic oncology, and radiation oncology. Westerly Hospital includes 125-beds, providing a full range of inpatient and outpatient services in a community hospital setting for more than 90 years. Westerly Hospital offers emergency, medical, surgical, radiology, laboratory, and rehabilitative services. In addition, the hospital offers interventional pain management, wound care, an anti-coagulation clinic and cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation services.
This role will serve as a Vice President, Finance within Yale New Haven Health, reporting directly to the system SVP, Finance of Yale New Haven Health and maintaining a matrixed reporting relationship to the CEO of Lawrence + Memorial Healthcare Delivery Network. The position will serve as member of the system’s senior finance leadership group in addition to being a key strategic partner to the Lawrence + Memorial Health Network Chief Executive Officer and a member of the Delivery Network leadership team. This role will be responsible for all finance activity and the overall strategic financial success across the Lawrence + Memorial Healthcare Delivery Network.
- Undergraduate degree required; graduate degree with financial or business-related focus and/or CPA desired.
- Prior experience within a complex integrated delivery system is highly preferred; experience within an academic enterprise is highly desirable.
- 10 years of progressive leadership experience in finance, preferably in a complex healthcare setting is required; strong financial operations experience is key to success in this leadership role.
- Track record demonstrating the ability to effectively navigate a complex system environment with a broad geographically distributed footprint and a local community delivery network with a local brand and an organized workforce.
- Possess a track record indicating deep knowledge of the underpinnings of financial statements and their operational and clinical translation via the cost accounting system and business plans.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage internal and external “facts” to assist in driving clinical, operational, and financial decision making for complex organizational issues.
- Displays leadership skills for successfully recruiting and maximizing diverse teams. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the ability the build and work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Excellent written, oral, and electronic communication skills.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of financial analysis, general accounting, and budget management principles and practices relative to healthcare institutions, enhanced business practices, integrated business management principles and practices, generally accepted accounting principles, and financial reporting processes and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of state and federal financial laws, regulations, and operating guidelines. Knowledge of the health system operations, service lines and operating departments outside the finance organization.