This position has been filled.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) is seeking an innovative, experienced academic leader to serve as the Founding Dean for its School of Social Work. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Social Work is the only institution to offer programs leading to both the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree and the Master of Science in Social Work (MSSW) degree south of San Antonio. Both programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
The School of Social Work is part of UTRGV‘s growing Division of Health Affairs which includes the School of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, College of Health Professions, School of Nursing, and a growing number of translational research institutes. UTRGV’s medical school is one of six in the University of Texas system and welcomed its first class in the fall of 2016.
The School of Social Work supports the mission of the Division of Health Affairs through programs that educate individuals to meet the healthcare needs of a culturally diverse society. The School of Social Work is committed to preparing generalist and advanced professional social workers to meet the needs of a bi-national and multicultural community.
The Founding Dean of UTRGV’s School of Social Work will be committed to promoting and fostering excellence in teaching, research, professional practice, and service. The Dean has oversight of the faculty/staff assigned to campuses located in Edinburg and Brownsville, which currently includes 15 faculty members and four staff. The Dean serves as one of the state’s leading voices for assessing healthcare needs of its residents and addressing them through the education of social work professionals.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Health Affairs, the Social Work Dean will work collaboratively with other UTRGV schools/colleges to develop interdisciplinary opportunities for teaching and research that will help address the unique health care priorities for the region. The Founding Social Work Dean will play an instrumental role in implementing the vision and programs that will continue UTRGV’s important role in enhancing the healthcare available to the population of South Texas.
- Doctorate in Social Work or a related field from an accredited University. Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of Professor in Social Work.
- Eligibility to obtain licensure in Texas.
- Experience in establishing and growing successful MSW and Doctorate programs is preferred.
- Strong, sustained record of senior leadership and administrative experience in support of students and faculty in teaching, service and scholarship excellence gained within an academic setting
- Ability to work with the faculty and staff to articulate and implement a vision for Social Work; provide leadership, advocate for and drive strategies aimed at achieving the School’s mission and vision; and establish the School as the source of scientific advances and best practices in social work
- Ability to thoughtfully and effectively manage the budget and allocation of School financial resources
- Ability to establish appropriate mechanisms to recruit, support and retain highly qualified students in the MSW and PhD/DSW programs, with particular attention to students from underrepresented minority groups
- Demonstrate a high level of personal and professional commitment, enthusiasm, integrity, and pride in the values of the University, the School, and the social work profession
- Ability to effectively manage numerous programs and activities within the School, including the promotion of pedagogical excellence in teaching and curriculum, and the encouragement of innovative clinical and community-based practice models.