This position has been filled.
Prisma Health is the largest not-for-profit health organization in South Carolina, serving more than 1.2 million patients annually. In all, 32,000 team members are dedicated to supporting the health and well-being patients and their families. The organization was formed with the merger of Greenville Health System (GHS) and Palmetto Health in November 2017. The new company brand and name began replacing the GHS and Palmetto Health brands and names in early 2019. GHS is now Prisma Health–Upstate, and Palmetto Health is now Prisma Health–Midlands.
Prisma Health-Upstate has adopted a strategic position to become the dominant integrated health care system in the upstate of South Carolina by creating value through network expansion and clinical integration. In addition, the system plans to transform healthcare delivery through efforts to become more patient-centric, become more affordable, and to create a healthier upstate. To realize these strategic objectives, leaders are focused on a number of multi-year goals that emphasize: total health; becoming an Accountable Care Organization/the High Value Health System; becoming a highly integrated delivery system/advancing clinical integration; pursuing academics that support the clinical enterprise; and achieving a sustainable financial model.
Prisma Health – Upstate takes a multidisciplinary approach to treating stroke. The Cerebrovascular & Stroke Center at Greenville Memorial Hospital, the system’s 710-bed flagship regional referral center, gained earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check mark for Advanced Certification for Comprehensive Stroke Centers in 2017, becoming the only comprehensive stroke center in the upstate. Greenville Memorial Hospital provides 24/7/365 availability of fellowship trained specialists in stroke neurology, neurosurgery, neuroendovascular surgery, neurocritical care and stroke specialized nursing; advanced imaging facilities; personnel, imaging, operating room and endovascular facilities; a dedicated neuroscience and stroke unit; extensive experience in treating patients with large ischemic strokes, intracerebral hemorrhage and subarachnoid hemorrhage; an integrated comprehensive stroke rehabilitation program; and community stroke education. Additionally, Greer Memorial Hospital’s stroke program has Gold and Target Stroke-Honor Roll performance status with the American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines program.
The Neuroendovascular team at Prisma Health are internationally recognized as leading experts in the field. Together they have published over 350 peer reviewed articles, book chapters and textbooks. They have been recognized as pioneers in the development of technologies, of cutting-edge technology, and excellent patient outcomes for ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke.
The Medical Director, Comprehensive Stroke Network will be responsible for the following at Greenville Memorial Hospital’s Comprehensive Stroke Center and across the organization’s upstate affiliates and its facilities:
- Establishing processes to identify and address deficiencies in pre-, intra- and post-hospital settings;
- Ensure appropriate initial and ongoing education and competency of providers, nursing and clinical staff;
- Develop and maintain written protocols;
- Monitor stroke-related quality metrics;
- Monitor acute stroke evaluation process;
- Oversee performance improvement, quality initiatives, peer review activities;
- Provides oversight for design and implementation of patient and family education activities;
- Provide leadership oversight and direction for stroke-related research activities.
S/he also will be responsible for the following at the affiliate facilities:
- Participate in a leadership role at the community and state levels;
- Direct telestroke services for affiliate;
- Ensure appropriate interfacility transport processes;
- Engage in philanthropic activities for the Cerebrovascular and Stroke Center;
- Support the site level team to achieve the appropriate level of stroke certification at each site.
- MD with a board certification and fellowship training in neurology and vascular neurology.
- South Carolina state medical license, or eligibility to attain.
- Experience with stroke center/stroke network development, including telestroke.
- Professional attitude, outstanding leadership traits, and ability to relate to executive management, professionals and business and community leaders.
- Exhibits excellent leadership and self-direction, good judgment in handling difficult situations and good organizational, time management, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstration of professional competence and ethical standards that allow the Vice Chair to serve as a role model for other faculty, fellows, and resident physicians.
- Advocate for organizational values and commitment to gender equity and diversity.