This position has been filled.
Tower Grove Park is a community treasure — a classic park rich with outdoor sculpture and architecture — in the heart of a major metropolitan area. It is the finest example of an urban park landscape from the Victorian era remaining in the United States. For nearly 150 years the Park has served St. Louis and its citizens as a source of spiritual and physical renewal, a venue for a wide variety of outdoor activities, and a gathering place for neighbors, friends and family, all in the heart of the city.
The Director is the senior-most employee and leader of Tower Grove Park, and is responsible for providing strategic and dynamic leadership, sound financial management, organizational oversight, and operational guidance. The Director represents and leads the institution in its relationships with donors, supporters, local government, media, and the broader community. The Director is accountable to the Board of Commissioners of Tower Grove Park. The Director is expected to perform work independently, while at the same time keeping the Board fully informed, and consulting with them on major matters before taking action.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree in a relevant discipline is desired.
- Leadership experience in a public institution, and knowledge of the principles and methods of administration in public institutions (i.e. rules, regulations, procedures, policies, financial reporting, and activities).
- Experience reporting to and working closely with a board organization; developing the board structure, cultivating board knowledge, and motivating board members and prospective members to serve the organization with passion.
- Capability as a fundraiser, including the ability to expand individual and corporate benefactor relations, solicit major gifts, and spearhead future fundraising efforts.
- Desirable experience may include a range of topics specific to park management, such as: historic preservation, horticulture and/or arboriculture, landscape architecture, urban planning or recreation.