Children’s Hospital & Medical Center, with the University of Nebraska College of Medicine, is currently recruiting the Director of Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care. Children’s Hospital & Medical Center of Omaha is a vibrant, free-standing pediatric teaching hospital and Nebraska’s only full-service pediatric specialty health care center focused on extraordinary clinical care, education, clinical and outcomes, basic science and translational research, and advocacy. The hospital has a Level IV Regional NICU, Level II Pediatric Trauma Center, Specialized Clinical Pediatric Services, and 24/7 Pediatric Intensivists. The organization has 50+ Specialty Clinics, 200+ Specialists, 14 Satellite Offices, multiple Pediatric Fellowship programs, and is Magnet Certified. The Child Health Research Institute has been established and will provide start-up and gap funding, and infrastructure for clinical, basic science, or translational research.
Campus expansion plans include an additional 100+ beds to the existing 145, expansion to the Newborn Intensive Care Unit, Fetal Care Center and Fetal Surgery, Infant MRI, full urology support with new urodynamic suite, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Cardiac Center including dedicated intensive care, Short-Stay Observation Unit, Emergency Department, and new operating rooms, one which will have intraoperative MRI and navigational system. The expansion will also provide new facilities to support education and clinical and outcomes research.
The Director of Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care is a newly created position. This Director will lead the Cardiac Critical Care direction of Children’s new Heart Center while promoting high quality care delivered to all cardiac patients. Reporting to the Chief of Critical Care, the Director will partner with leadership from CT Surgery, Cardiology, Critical Care, Nursing, and administration to lead efforts in quality improvement, quality assurance, and development/implementation of clinical programs within the Heart Center (which will have 32 CICU beds). The current faculty consists of 3 cardiac surgeons, 15 cardiologists, and 12 intensivists. This individual will be instrumental in the recruitment and mentorship of cardiac critical care faculty.
- MD or equivalent degree.
- American Board of Pediatrics sub-specialty board certification in Pediatric Cardiology and/or Critical Care Medicine.
- Strong commitment to patient care, reflecting a service-oriented philosophy with hospital administration and with colleagues in other specialties.
- Demonstrated potential for building clinically strong programs. A successful record of accomplishment in recruitment and development of faculty.
- Distinguished record of scholarly activity, teaching, and clinical care.
- Ability to build and lead teams, as well as relationships with referring physicians and other departments.
- Experienced in balancing complex needs of the academic mission, research and clinical productivity with fiscal responsibility.
- Excellent communication skills, both in group settings and one-on-one.
- Successful candidates will hold a faculty appointment at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine.