AvMed was created in 1969 as a prepaid healthcare system for pilots in Miami’s aviation industry. The name AvMed is derived from “Aviation Medicine.” Today, AvMed is one of Florida’s oldest and largest not-for-profit health plans, providing Medicare Advantage coverage in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, individual and family coverage in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach, and coverage for employer groups in more than 30 counties across the state. AvMed offers healthcare plans, online tools, value added services and solutions that deliver better service, quality, affordability and health. AvMed also provides a variety of affordable coverage solutions for businesses of all sizes in most major metropolitan areas of the state, including self-funded options.
The Medical Director has overall responsibility and accountability for effectively and efficiently leveraging technology, people, process and data in delivering a unique and differentiating member experience through effective Utilization Management, Care Management, Case Management, Clinical Coordination and Health & Wellness programs.
Education and Licensure
- Medical degree (MD or DO) required. Related Master’s (e.g., MBA/MHA/MS) degree or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- Must possess an active unrestricted Florida Medical Licensure or the ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire and the ability to pass employer credentialing.
- Board certification in ABMS-recognized specialty, preferably Primary Care.
- At least five years’ experience in active clinical practice.
- Managerial experience in Managed Care environment including at least three (3) years as a Medical Director, knowledgeable about managed care concepts, demonstrated utilization management skills, and proven ability to impact medical costs