Inova Health System is comprised of five hospitals with more than 1,800 licensed beds and 16,000 employees spanning throughout northern VA. This $3.3 billion system, up almost 10% in operating revenue in recent years, has been recognized by multiple outlets highlighting their success and commitment to quality care. The system is shaping the future of health through its integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes. Inova’s commitment to health and wellness is further reflected in its sustainable practices. Inova is home to world-class researchers, expert medical specialists and renowned scientists, who are driving innovation to improve patient care, prevent disease and promote wellness.
Recognizing both the growth in population throughout the district served by Inova and the increase in cancer patients that corresponds with that growth, the Inova Schar Cancer Institute was established in 2015 with $400M of funding, including a single $50M philanthropy grant. The highly personalized 280,000-square-foot Institute sits on an innovation campus that spans 117 acres and is an international center for advanced cancer care and research. Collaborating with clinical and scientific partners, including the University of Virginia as well as industry, this program prioritizes genomic and translational research to better understand, predict, prevent, and eliminate cancer.
Located less than 10 miles from Washington, D.C. the Northern Virginia area offers a wide range of communities that provide exceptional places to live, work, eat, and enjoy the outdoors. Located just 30 minutes from the headquarters of the Food and Drug Administration and 20 minutes from the campus of the National Institutes of Health, Inova is the healthcare market leader for the region.
Inova Schar Cancer Institute seeks the Director of Lung Cancer Research to join the Inova Medical Group’s oncology team. Inova Schar Cancer Institute, with access points at all five Inova hospitals, is at the forefront of cancer diagnosis and treatment. Inova’s new lung cancer program offers care for patients in a multidisciplinary clinic. Inova physicians are actively involved in cancer research, helping develop new treatments to improve patient care.
The Director of Lung Cancer Research will conduct an active program of independent and collaborative research pertinent to the mission of the Institute, work with a multi-disciplinary group of investigators at Inova and develop vibrant research collaborations aimed at having a local, national and international impact on cancer prevention and control. The successful candidate will be an outstanding clinical/translational physician investigator with expertise in the care of lung malignancies, and with the ability and personal characteristics to direct the development of an outstanding interdisciplinary clinical lung cancer program. The successful candidate will build, maintain, and continually improve an outstanding academic program for the care of patients with lung cancer, and for those who work and learn within the program.
- M.D. with board certification in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology, specialized expertise in lung oncology.
- Eligibility for Virginia licensure as a medical doctor.
- Eligible for the academic rank of associate of full professor.
- Prior experience in a tertiary regional hospital or academic institution with a comprehensive cancer clinical and research program. Evidence of past participation in publication of articles on basic, translational, and/or clinical cancer care.
- Experience and expertise in research including Phase 1 and early Phase II clinical trials.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences, in group settings or one-on-one.
- Personal characteristics of integrity, maturity, and honesty aligned with the Mission and Values of the Inova Health System.