This position has been filled.
The Houston Methodist System comprises a leading academic medical center located in the Texas Medical Center and seven community hospitals serving the Greater Houston area. Houston Methodist Hospital, the system’s flagship, is the #1 hospital in Texas according to U.S. News & World Report. The magazine named Methodist one of the country’s best in 13 specialties, ranked in more specialties than any other hospital in Texas. For that reason, it was named one of “America’s Best Hospitals.” Houston Methodist Hospital System is also ranked among FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for the seventh year in a row, remaining the only healthcare organization ranked in Texas.
Houston Methodist is seeking a well-respected physician investigator with the knowledge, vision, and leadership abilities to serve as the Chair for the Department of Urology. This role leads the academic Department of Urology at Houston Methodist Hospital, with responsibility for advancement of clinical, education, and research missions. Education (undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education) and research programs are conducted as components of the Houston Methodist Academic Institute. The Chair serves as the Chief of the Urology service at Houston Methodist Hospital, with responsibility for development of urology clinical programs and operations, quality initiatives, and medical staff chief duties including oversight of clinical performance and professional matters of all urologists. The Chair also will have significant involvement in the development of the system’s community hospitals situated throughout the Houston metropolitan area.
Qualified candidates will be eligible for primary faculty appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College and the Houston Methodist Academic Institute. Secondary faculty appointments at Texas A&M College of Medicine and other medical school affiliates also are possible. Current faculty participate in teaching residents in Houston Methodist’s 42 ACGME-accredited training programs, including an independent urology residency program. Academic affiliation with both Weill Cornell Medicine and Texas A&M College of Medicine provide other outlets for academic pursuits and collaboration.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
- MD or DO with board certification in Urology.
- Possession of or eligibility for an unrestricted Texas medical license.
- Outstanding clinical skills and a national reputation in the field.
- Leadership and administrative skills capable of expanding and propelling the Department to national excellence in patient care, research and education.
- Proven record of substantive scholarly achievements and trainee development.
- Strong record of independent extramural research funding.
- Experience as an academic leader.
- Effective supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and coaching expertise; ability to further develop and advance a superior clinical service.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences, in group settings or one-on-one.