Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator, ProvenCare and ProvenExperience. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey at AtlantiCare, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service.
Geisinger had its beginnings in the small community of Danville located in central Pennsylvania along the northern branch of the Susquehanna River. There, in 1915, Abigail A. Geisinger founded the George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital in memory of her husband. The new hospital was designed as a comprehensive healthcare institution that would offer specialized medical care to people in the rural areas of central Pennsylvania.
Unlike most healthcare systems, which evolved with a hospital focus, Geisinger’s history and tradition is that of a physician-led and physician-driven healthcare organization. This tradition began when Mrs. Geisinger brought Dr. Harold Foss, a Mayo Clinic-trained physician, to be her hospital’s first chief of staff. Today, Geisinger is regarded as a national model of healthcare delivery centered on a sophisticated multispecialty group practice. Geisinger’s strategy of integrating physicians and hospitals has expanded to include the management of health and the financing of healthcare services through its wholly controlled health maintenance organization, Geisinger Health Plan (GHP).
Geisinger is seeking a Thoracic Surgeon for its Wyoming Valley region, which serves patients in Lackawanna, Luzerne and Wayne counties. Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan. Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. In all, the health system serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, as well as in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, a member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger family.
Central and Northeastern Pennsylvania offers a high quality of life, small town America lifestyle including excellent schools, safe neighborhoods with affordable housing, and an abundance of cultural and recreational activities. The beautiful outdoors provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, canoeing, hiking and mountain biking. Urban life is easily accessible with New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C., all within a few hours’ drive.
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in thoracic surgery.
- Commitment to clinical excellence, education and clinical research.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to advance and develop a superior clinical service.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences, in group settings or one-on-one.
- Expertise in establishing physician relationships combined with the ability to manage an interdisciplinary team while appreciating and fostering collegial and peer participation from all disciplines.
- Effective supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and coaching expertise.
- Advocate for organizational values and commitment to gender equity and diversity.
- Personal characteristics of integrity, maturity, and honesty aligned with the Mission and Values of Geisinger.
- Strong interest and history of success in performing and obtaining funding support for research that will enhance cost effective and evidence-based patient care and maintain research credentials and relationships is preferred.