This position has been filled.
Founded in 1981, Independence Center is a community-based rehabilitation program for adults with severe and persistent mental illnesses in the St. Louis area, built on the Clubhouse model of psychosocial rehabilitation. The organization assists individuals to live and work in the community, independently and with dignity. In short, Independence Center gives people who may not have other advocates a community where they are wanted, needed and expected. Independence Center is a not-for-profit organization operating with an annual budget of $9.5 million, the majority of which is state and federal Medicare/Medicaid funds. The Center serves approximately 5,000 members in the community, approximately 1,200 are active at any given time, and close to 200 members come to the Center each day.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for fostering the Independence Center’s broader “organizational health” and, specifically, to position the organization as a leading provider of high quality programs and services. This is accomplished by ensuring that strategic and operating plans align with the mission through ongoing revenue growth, planning for sustained long-term viability and growth, and effectively positioning the organization as a best practice in its field. The core duties of the Executive Director are focused on operational leadership (running the “business” of Independence center); expanding the mission of the organization; leading fundraising strategies and implementation efforts; shaping legislative policy and, based on a true passion for the mission of this organization, engaging both the internal and external community as the face of Independence Center.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree (MBA or MHA) is preferred.
- Ten plus years of progressive experience in not-for-profit management, ideally in health care, including management/leadership and staff supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated success as a fundraiser, capable of articulating an organizational mission in a convincing and compelling manner which results in successful fundraising programs.
- Demonstrated strategic vision and leadership, with ability to be hands-on when needed.
- Experience working with a board of directors.