This position has been filled.
Nature’s Variety is a rapidly growing, privately owned manufacturer and marketer of natural and holistic pet foods for dogs and cats. The company’s products are sold in over 6,000 retail locations across North America and nearly a dozen countries internationally. The company was founded in 2002 and has been principally owned and backed by private equity firm, Catterton Partners, since 2008. The company employs over 200 people. The corporate headquarters are based in St. Louis, MO, while its primary manufacturing and distribution operations are located in Lincoln, NE. Annual revenues are growing dramatically and are expected to continue on a steep trajectory for the foreseeable future as the company increases the breadth and depth of its distribution and builds market share in the growing and profitable super-premium pet food segment.
The Director of Procurement is a new position at Nature’s Variety which will oversee and manage all procurement responsibilities within the company with a primary focus on raw ingredients and packaging components. Procurement responsibility will include both internal production and co-pack manufacturers. The main focus will be on reliable sourcing, managing costs, new product development, and managing inventory and delivery needs. Nature’s Variety believes there is a significant unmet opportunity to be more forward thinking in purchasing commodity protein products, such as beef, chicken and fish. The selected candidate is expected to be able to implement purchasing programs which take advantage of hedging and forward buying strategies for these essential, high cost ingredients. Many of Nature’s Variety’s products also include exotic pet food ingredients, such as duck, lamb, rabbit, and venison, which require global sourcing expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business. An MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of increasing responsibility in procuring food ingredient and packaging components within the consumer products industry, ideally with exposure to the purchase of food proteins within the pet food market. International procurement experience is preferred.
- Strong financial and analytical skills are essential.
- Highly effective and collaborative leadership and communication skills, along with proven strong project management skills are expected.
- Able to operate in a fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial environment with a bias for action in a constantly changing market, and where decisions frequently need to be made with imperfect information on short notice.