Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator, ProvenCare and ProvenExperience. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey at AtlantiCare, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service.
The Director of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology is responsible for overseeing all Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology clinical services delivered across Geisinger by Geisinger Clinic (GC) cardiologists and all independent community cardiologists. S/he will provide clinical and management leadership for the GC Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology group and affiliated outreach sites. S/he must maintain a comprehensive and long-range system-wide view of Geisinger’s strategic plan as it pertains to the Geisinger Heart Institute (GHI). S/he will constantly seek to identify and take advantage of opportunities to improve the general health and wellness of those served by Geisinger. Effectively accomplishing these objectives requires a close cooperative relationship with the Director of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, as well as operational managers, and the GHI leaders who share responsibility for the performance of their clinical unit.
The Director of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology must clearly and effectively articulate the goals, directions, missions, critical issues, and values of Geisinger to the associates and employees who work within the GHI and its related areas. S/he must effectively communicate the opinions, concerns, and suggestions of associates and employees to GHI, campus, and system leadership. The Director of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology will provide strong leadership, expanding the Department’s clinical and research programs, assist in recruiting high caliber talent into the organization, and promoting quality of care. S/he will support the provision of a strong customer service orientation toward pediatricians, community cardiologists and other physicians utilizing Geisinger resources.
- An MD or DO degree with board certification in Pediatrics and Cardiovascular Disease, and an unrestricted Pennsylvania state medical license.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to advance and develop a superior clinical service.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences, in group settings or one-on-one.
- Expertise in establishing physician relationships combined with the ability to manage an interdisciplinary team while appreciating and fostering collegial and peer participation from all disciplines.
- Effective supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and coaching expertise.
- Advocate for organizational values and commitment to gender equity and diversity.
- Personal characteristics of integrity, maturity, and honesty aligned with the Mission and Values of Geisinger.
- Demonstrated experience with capital/operating budgets and an understanding of the challenges facing academic medicine.