This position has been filled.
As the only academic medical center in the region, VCU Health is on the forefront of health care, providing patients with the most progressive treatments and medical technology available. VCU Health has the area’s only NCI-designated cancer center — VCU Massey Cancer Center — and full-service children’s hospital, Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU. Recently, Community Memorial Healthcenter (CMH) in South Hill, Va., joined operations with VCU Health to expand the range and depth of health care delivery for residents of southern Virginia and northern North Carolina. CMH is now VCU Community Memorial Hospital, and the affiliation brings together two high-performing organizations, combining the clinical expertise of the community-based hospital with the nationally ranked programs of VCU Medical Center under the umbrella of VCU Health. The medical center’s academic mission supports and is directly linked to Virginia Commonwealth University. Located on two campuses in Richmond, VCU enrolls more than 31,000 students in more than 200 undergraduate, graduate, professional, doctoral and post-graduate certificate degree programs at 13 schools and one college.
VCU Health is seeking a Director of Hospital Medicine within the Department of Internal Medicine’s Division of General Medicine. The Department is dedicated to the advancement of clinical care, teaching and research missions of the Department of Internal Medicine, as well as VCU Health.
- Board certification in internal medicine.
- Evidence of academic accomplishments consistent with an appointment to the rank of associate professor or professor.
- At least five years of experience in an academic hospitalist program.
- Previous leadership experience in an academic hospitalist program.
- Direct experience managing complex inpatients, competency in standard inpatient procedures (including obtaining and interpretation of an arterial blood gas, central line placement, lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, paracentesis, and arthrocentesis).
- Solid understanding of the hospitalist role and function, and an interest in teaching and growth in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated the ability to work as a member of a team, providing effective communication, both verbal and written, and an interest in furthering the research, scholarly and academic missions of the group.