This position has been filled.
Inova Health System is seeking a Director of Gastrointestinal Cancer Research to serve the Inova Schar Cancer Institute. Recognizing both the growth in population throughout the district served by Inova and the increase in cancer patients that corresponds with that growth, the Inova Schar Cancer Institute was established in 2015 with $400M of funding, including a single $50M philanthropy grant. The highly personalized 280,000-square-foot Institute sits on an innovation campus that spans 117 acres and is an international center for advanced cancer care and research. Collaborating with clinical and scientific partners, including the University of Virginia as well as industry, this program prioritizes genomic and translational research to better understand, predict, prevent, and eliminate cancer. Inova Schar Cancer Institute, with access points at all five Inova hospitals, is at the forefront of cancer diagnosis and treatment. Inova’s gastrointestinal cancer program offers care for patients in a multidisciplinary clinic. Inova physicians are actively involved in cancer research, helping develop new treatments to improve patient care.
Inova Health System is comprised of five hospitals with more than 1,800 licensed beds and 16,000 employees spanning throughout northern Virginia. This $3.3 billion system, up almost 10 percent in operating revenue in recent years, has been recognized by multiple outlets highlighting their success and commitment to quality care.
- Financial analysts recognizing Inova with the “AA+” S&P rating
- First and only hospitals in the DC to receive 5 out of 5 stars for quality by CMS
- Ranked by US News & World report and Becker’s Hospital Review as being among the best hospitals in D.C. area
- Gold seal of approval by Joint Commission in numerous fields, including joint replacement, spine surgery, NICU, cardiology care, etc.
Inova Schar Cancer Institute is seeking a Director of Gastrointestinal Cancer Research to join their group of oncologists in Northern Virginia, part of the greater Washington, D.C. area. The Director of Gastrointestinal Cancer Research at the Inova Schar Cancer Institute will conduct an active program of independent and collaborative research pertinent to the mission of the Institute, work with a multi-disciplinary group of investigators at Inova and develop vibrant research collaborations aimed at having a local, national and international impact on cancer prevention and control. This leader will be a physician investigator with expertise in the care of GI malignancies, and with the ability and personal characteristics to direct further development of an outstanding interdisciplinary clinical GI oncology research program. The successful candidate will build, maintain, and continually improve an outstanding program for the care of patients with GI malignancies, and for those who work and learn within the program.
- Board certification in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology, specialized expertise in gastrointestinal medical oncology.
- Eligibility for Virginia licensure as a medical doctor.
- Eligible for the academic rank of associate of full professor.
- Prior experience in a tertiary regional hospital or academic institution with a comprehensive cancer clinical and research program. Evidence of past participation in publication of articles on basic, translational, and/or clinical cancer care.
- Experience and expertise in research including Phase 1 and early Phase II clinical trials.