Wilmot Cancer Institute at the University of Rochester Medical Center is the only multidisciplinary academic cancer center in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region. A component of Strong Memorial Hospital, Wilmot provides fully integrated inpatient and outpatient clinical, clinical research and laboratory space for cancer. It features an 86-bed cancer center with 11 outpatient locations. Wilmot offers patients and their families comprehensive services, including one of upstate New York’s largest blood and marrow transplant programs and the Rochester area’s only NAPBC-accredited breast cancer center. Wilmot is home to the region’s first survivorship clinic and offers clinical trials of new therapies and options that may not be available anywhere else upstate. In addition, Wilmot includes a team of scientists who investigate many aspects of cancer, with an emphasis on how best to provide precision cancer care.
The Division of Surgical Oncology is composed of nine faculty members with three breast surgeons, one melanoma/sarcoma, one endocrine and four gastrointestinal/hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgeons. The division is the leading surgical oncology group in the Wilmot Catchment area in terms of case volumes and outcomes and is a major contributor to the Wilmot Cancer Institute’s research mission with several members serving as Principal Investigators of NIH funded cancer research laboratories. Division members are nationally and internationally recognized for excellence in clinical and academic surgical oncology.
The Wilmot Cancer Institute, in conjunction with the Division of Surgical Oncology, at the University of Rochester Medical Center is seeking an experienced and academically accomplished breast surgeon to serve as Director of the Comprehensive Breast Program. The Director will also serve as Program Leader of Breast Surgery and Director of the Breast Cancer Service Line. This individual will be expected to partner with the Cancer Institute Director and leadership team, health system leadership, and Program members to further strategic growth of the multidisciplinary Breast Program both in Rochester and throughout the Wilmot Cancer Institute’s catchment area. This will include development of innovative, coordinated patient care programs across the spectrum of breast diseases, and a close integration with the robust clinical and translational research efforts of the Wilmot Cancer Institute to facilitate impactful clinical research programs. The candidate will be expected to participate in patient care responsibilities at the Wilmot Cancer Institute and the Pluta Breast Center and to develop an active clinical practice in the care of patients with breast diseases.
- MD or equivalent degree.
- Residency training and board certification in General Surgery.
- Advanced clinical training in breast surgery, preferably in an SSO-approved Breast Surgical Oncology Fellowship.
- Ability to obtain full, unrestricted licensure to practice medicine in New York.
- National and international reputation of excellence, with recognition for hers/his expertise in the field of breast cancer care.
- Strong, visionary, inspirational leader who can artfully convey a long-term vision for medical care, education, and research and equally skilled at operationalizing a detailed plan to achieve that vision.
- Highly approachable and compassionate; having a record of promoting a culture of innovation, collaboration, teamwork, respect, and honesty; with a professional and personal demeanor characterized by integrity, graciousness, humility, genuineness, sincerity, and a passion for the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Academic accomplishments commensurate with appointment at the rank Associate Professor or Professor at University of Rochester Medical Center.