University of Utah Health (UUH) is the only academic medical center in the state of Utah and the Mountain West and provides patient care for the people of Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, western Colorado, and much of Nevada. It also serves as the training ground for the majority of the state’s physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists, and other health care professionals.
Consistently, ranked #1 in quality in the nation among academic medical centers, the academic partners at the University of Utah include Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, and university Colleges of Nursing, Pharmacy, and Health, which are internationally regarded research and teaching institutions.
The Health System is staffed by more than 3,000 practicing clinicians, including 1,800 credentialed and privileged physicians and 1,250 advanced practice clinicians who support six hospitals: University of Utah Hospital, Huntsman Cancer Hospital, John A. Moran Eye Center, University of Utah Orthopedic Center, Huntsman Mental Health Institute (formerly University Neuropsychiatric Institute), and the Craig H. Neilsen Rehabilitation Hospital, which opened in May 2020; 12 community health centers; nine urgent care locations; and numerous specialty centers for cardiology, ophthalmology, neurosciences, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology, cancer, men’s and women’s health, fertility services, orthopedics, and surgery. University of Utah physicians provide care for pediatric patients at Primary Children’s Hospital, located on the U of U campus, through an innovative partnership with Intermountain Healthcare.
University of Utah Health’s patient referral area extends to cover 10 percent of the land mass of the continental United States, with numerous clinical services that include a Level 1 trauma center and the region’s only comprehensive burn center. Eight AirMed bases offer helicopter and airplane transportation to care facilities within a 1,700-mile radius. A growing network of 23 regional affiliates and 83 telehealth sites further extends that reach through urban, rural, and frontier populations of the five-state Mountain West.
Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer of University of Utah Health, the Chief Pharmacy Officer (CPO) will be the designated representative of UUH. S/he will be responsible for providing strategic direction, executive and operational oversight and leadership, for all pharmacy services operations across the entire Health System.
The CPO will be expected to build strong collaborative relationships with other key leaders in the organization, and ensure that the Pharmacy operations are positioned to optimize performance in terms of quality, service, revenue, affordability and technology. S/he will have an entrepreneurial outlook and be an innovative thought leader who can work collaboratively across the organization, ensuring the pharmacy operation aligns with and supports the overall strategic objectives of UUH. Of particular interest, is the ongoing strategic growth of the ambulatory/retail pharmacy operations.
- Absolute and uncompromising integrity with the demonstrated ability to successfully lead pharmacy teams instilling trust, integrity, fairness, and credibility while meeting or exceeding patient safety, quality, regulatory, and contractual requirements
- PharmD from an accredited School of Pharmacy required
- Registered Pharmacist License required
- Successful completion of an ASHP accredited Residency Program preferred
- 7+ years in a hospital pharmacy setting (preferably in an academic setting) with progressive experience in Pharmacy Management
- Ideally, 3+ years as Director of Pharmacy Services or CPO of a large medical center or health system
- Experience in a large matrix organizational environment involving integration of multiple entities, without direct authority or control is strongly desired
- Successful track record leading large scale operations multiple operations. This includes having sophisticated influencing, collaboration, and change leadership expertise that can leverage the diverse clinical, operational, and intellectual expertise in all areas of pharmacy operations
- Expert clinical knowledge and a strong background in all aspects of pharmaceutical delivery across multiple healthcare delivery platforms required
- Open collaborative style with excellent interpersonal and influencing skills are a necessity to coordinate effective System-wide integration in a highly matrix organization
- Successful experience in pharmaceutical management in a large, complex multi-unit and multi-location hospital organization
Please forward confidential resumes and inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org