Great Rivers Greenway is the public agency connecting the St. Louis region with greenways. In 2000, a vote of the people created a sales tax to leave a legacy for future generations by investing in and connecting together some of our region’s best assets – rivers & parks. Those funds allow the agency to collaborate with partners and communities to build, care for and bring to life your network of greenways, creating healthy habitats and watersheds along the way. They serve the 2 million people throughout the 1,200 square mile district of St. Louis City, St. Louis County and St. Charles County. They collaborate with key stakeholders across the region to deliver on the community’s vision for a vibrant, connected region. In 2013, voters dedicated funds to support local parks departments, greenways and the transformation of the area surrounding the Gateway Arch. Great Rivers Greenway is the steward of the taxpayers’ investment and collaborate to create a seamless and excellent experience from downtown St. Louis to the Gateway Arch to the mighty Mississippi. The total system will eventually comprise more than 600 miles of greenways in the City of St. Louis, St. Louis and St. Charles Counties in Missouri with those developed by the Metro East Parks District of St. Clair and Madison Counties in Illinois.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operating Officer is charged with oversight of all areas related to operations. This leader is responsible for the execution of the strategic plan and oversight of project finance and accounting elements of the organization. The Chief Operating Officer provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems are in place to effectively meet the organization’s objectives and ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The Chief Operating Officer leader will oversee 19 staff in total and will ensure that the “Build,” “Promote,” and “Sustain” teams are highly collaborative in driving the strategic plan forward. The Chief Operating Officer will directly supervise the Director of Finance and Administration and Director of Greenway Operations, and will indirectly supervise the VP of Planning and Projects and VP of Communications and Outreach (in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer).
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Public Administration, Parks and Recreation, Construction Management, or related field.
- Ten years of progressively responsible multi-disciplinary experience in community/economic development, natural resource management, construction, contract and project management.
- Deep understanding of municipal or government processes in procurement, contracting procedures, operations and finance.
- Strong ability to effectively collaborate with direct teammates, staff across all departments, and partners in the region to operate the organization and evolve projects per the objectives.
- Efficient and flexible, high-capacity self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced work environment.