Mahaska Health is an independent, self-directed, busy Critical Access County Hospital in Southeastern Iowa which consists of 25 beds and an attached 43 Physician and Provider Medical Group with 10 visiting Physician Specialists. The health system provides services from birth to end-of-life for emergency, elective and preventive healthcare. Mahaska Health employs over 450 team members and offers appointments in the Medical Group to see most types of specialists so patients do not have to travel for specialized care.
This is not a typical Critical Access Hospital: it is rapidly transforming into one of the most innovative and highest performing small hospitals in the country through a combination of innovative technology, process definition, creativity, and a truly distinctive culture defined by collaboration in the service of patients. Mahaska Health is a proud member of Heartland Health ACO, one of the highest performing ACO’s in the Nation. As a public entity, Mahaska Health is managed by an elected Board of Trustees who works closely with our employed Executive Team to ensure Mahaska Health continues to provide quality and personalized healthcare resources to the communities we serve. Because of our exceptional Team, Mahaska Health is more than a Hospital. Providing over 60 specialties close to home along with celebrating our Team’s mission of delivering exceptional patient-centered care.
The Chief Financial Officer administers, directs, and monitors all hospital financial activities and keeps the Chief Executive Officer, Executive Leadership Team and the Board of Directors informed regarding the financial condition of the organization, including the Hospital, Value-Based Care Initiatives, Outpatient Services, Medical Group, and one offsite Primary Care Clinic. The Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for compliance with all Federal and State budgetary and financial reporting regulations. Additionally, the Chief Financial Officer will develop financial goals and objectives for the organization, provide oversight for expense management, guidance regarding management of assets and investments, and analysis of financial trends within the organization and the industry. The Chief Financial Officer also will be actively involved in hospital leadership, strategic direction, value-based care contracting, organizational performance, Seim Johnson auditor and Stroudwater optimization and the growth of a team-oriented culture. This position will be on-site.
- 10+ years of progressive financial leadership in healthcare, preferably in hospitals.
- Experience with leading change management of a financial team to create more effective financial organization including accounting, reporting, A/R, A/P, system development, workflow, accountability, policy, budgeting, and forecasting. Experience with both accounting and finance functions in healthcare.
- Experience with identifying business opportunities, analyzing the competitive landscape, and developing financial models that are consistent with the hospital’s overall strategy.
- Ability to develop KPIs and other tools and reports to help promote leadership in continuous improvement across functional areas.
- Strong financial planning and analysis skills with the ability to generate insights supporting accurate forecasting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Able to effectively communicate with physicians, providers, employees, leaders, Board members, patients, businesses and community members, and partner with external clients such as auditors and bankers.
- Able to quickly assess what is working and what is not and change course quickly.
- Must be team-oriented, focused on doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do.
- Delivers on servant-hearted leadership that is kind, compassionate and leads with humility and empathy.
- Should be results-driven who focuses on using data to make financial decisions.
- Should possess ability to take calculated risks to create significant value.
- Ideal candidate will be reliable, accountable, articulate, enjoy working collaboratively but excels while working independently, and operates with high integrity.
- Ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge in hospital financials, revenue cycle, expense management, public bidding requirements and publishing guidelines.