Frick’s Quality Meats is a privately-held, family-owned company with 300+ employees that makes artisan smoked meats and sausages with distribution to grocery retailers in 44 states. Since 1896, when Edward Frick opened a butcher shop in Washington, Missouri, and for five generations since, the Frick family has been supplying America with fresh and flavorful ham and sausage products.
Placing food safety as the highest priority, the company’s facility which currently sits on 11.5 acres and was built in 2005, is GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) compliant and holds a Grade “AA” certification. In August 2018, Frick’s Quality Meats completed the Phase II expansion on their 120,000 square foot facility, adding an additional 28,320 square feet. The multi-million-dollar expansion created an additional 40 jobs. This addition includes increased cooler space and a doubled ready-to-eat packaging area. It set them up for the launch of Frick’s Natural products which hit store shelves earlier this year, and the opportunity to launch Frick’s Organic products. The facility has been USDA Organic Certified since 2016. Phase III expansion plans will break ground soon.
Frick’s Quality Meats, Washington, MO, is seeking an energetic and dynamic leader to serve as Chief Operating Officer. This is a newly created position and the selected candidate will serve as an integral member of the executive management team. Reporting into the President, the COO is responsible for the day-to-day leadership, coordination and safety of the plant, and is accountable for all aspects of production. Oversight will include all operations in processing and packaging, quality control, facilities, grounds and equipment maintenance, and information technology. The COO will be measured against criteria important in successfully running the business: quality, production efficiencies, EBITDA, market share, and yield. This position plays an essential leadership role in establishing a positive culture throughout the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in food processing operations. Meat handling experience preferred with a strong understanding of meat processing cost accounting and profitability drivers.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for achieving business results; an action-oriented and results-driven leader with a strong sense of urgency.
- Background in managing shop floor operations with demonstrated experience in Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, or other formal productivity improvement programs with the ability to boost production, asset capacity, and flexibility while minimizing unnecessary costs.
- Strong business and financial acumen; ability to develop/manage operating and capital budgets, and skilled in reading and understanding financial documents and allocating assets appropriately.
- Strategic growth experience through plant expansion and major capital expenditure programs.
- Energized by working for a privately-held, family-owned company placing a high value on hard work, expertise and knowledge.
- Engaged and accountable with a “hands-on” diplomatic approach.
- Proven ability to manage, coach, motivate, and develop teams while creating a positive culture based on respect, fairness, and professionalism.
- A “lifelong learner” who stays on top of industry trends.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial thinker with the ability to recommend and implement new equipment, scheduling solutions, standards, or other best practices to achieve increased cost-effective solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and translating a strategic plan into effective organizational action.
- Strong listening, written and verbal communication skills.